1. NO SLAMMING ALLOWED. *NOTE Takedowns are not considered slamming, unless intent to injure is determined by the referee. This is to avoid slamming to escape the guard and various submissions from the guard and to prevent any major injury.
2. You must deliver your opponent safely to the mat, meaning if you take your opponent down you must come down with your opponent. This prevents “pro wrestling” type dangerous slams.
Anyone violating this rule will be immediately disqualified.
3. No Infectious Diseases Allowed: Competitors with any of the following infectious diseases will NOT be allowed to compete including: Herpes (active cold sores), Fungal
Infections (Ringworm), and any form of Staph or Viral (Chicken Pox, etc.)
4. General Cleanliness: Come to the event clean with trimmed toe and finger nails. Competitors with Offensive odors before the event starts will be refunded and kindly asked to leave the tournament. We are looking to create a safe, clean and friendly environment.
5. HEALTH SAFETY WARNING: DO NOT GO INTO THE BATHROOM BAREFOOT OR WITH WRESTLING SHOES.
6. Scoring Points: To gain points for any move or position, the competitor (aggressor) must show clear control for a 3 second count by the referee – this is the key in point scoring for Grapplers Quest – TOTAL CONTROL FOR A 3 COUNT TO EARN POINTS.
7. Injury Time: If either competitor is bleeding, the match will be stopped immediately. The mat will be cleaned to ensure cleanliness. The competitor is entitled to a total of 3 minutes to stop any bleeding. If the same competitor begins to bleed again, the match will be stopped immediately and their opponent will win by “Injury Default”. All other injuries, including cramps, muscle pulls, crying (in Kid’s Divisions), screaming or yelping will signify as a verbal submission and end the match.
8. NO DISRESPECTING REFEREES/TABLE WORKERS: We also will be enforcing fully the zero tolerance rule of disrespecting, physically threatening, or verbally abusing staff. If any coach, parent, or competitor threatens or abuses the referee in any shape or form their competitor will be disqualified and they will be escorted out of the building by security.
9. All Referee Decisions are 100% FINAL – all of the referees are paid professionals and have many hours of professional training in the arts of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling,
Submission Grappling, and other ground fighting and stand-up arts. They are to be respected at ALL TIMES and will have a threat-free, pressure-free environment.
10. WRIST LOCKS: All wrist locks are legal in ALL Adult Divisions, but ILLEGAL in ALL Children’s and Teen’s Divisions.
11. PENALTIES (resulting in the warnings and point deductions listed below):
a. Stalling– The referee will issue warnings for the following: Backing out of the guard without engaging, butt scooting, and fleeing the ring to avoid takedowns.
b. No Clothing Grabbing in No-Gi Submission Grappling Divisions – No points or positional changes will be scored if clothing is illegally grabbed.
c. No covering of the mouth or “muffler” techniques to smother your opponent.
d. No smashing the face, eyes, or nose with any part of the body allowed.
***Penalty System of Negative Scoring Against Rules Above:
1st offense of stalling = Official Warning. 2nd offense of stalling = 2 Point deduction. 3rd offense of stalling = 3 point deduction. 4th offense of stalling = Disqualification.
12. DISQUALIFICATIONS for any of the following techniques that cause submission or injury:
a. No Compression Locks Allowed (including Bicep, Calf Crunchers, or Compression Knee Locks) in all divisions except
Men’s & Women’s Advanced (or same Level Absolutes), Professional and Brown & Black Belt Divisions.
b. Leg Lock infractions (see # 14 below in No-Gi Rules) causing injury or submission.
c. No Neck Cranks and No Cervical Locks in all divisions except Men’s & Women’s Advanced as well as Professional Divisions.
d. Intentionally throwing a competitor on his head or neck or slamming out of any submission.
e. Missing your match after your name has been called over the loud speaker Three Times – No Refunds for Missed Divisions.
f. If a competitor breaks any of the rules after officially being warned or blatantly attempts to hurt their opponent.
g. Bad Sportsmanship or harassment of referees, coaches, or attendees will not be tolerated and will result in DQ after warning.
h. Fleeing the Ring to Avoid Submission (Leg Lock rollout escapes will be at the referees full discretion, but usually the competitors will be re-started in the same leg lock position in the center).
13. Competition Area Boundaries: On the ground, if the competitors are near the edge the referee will wait until a resting period and/or until they feel the competitors might be in danger and
then re-start them in the same position in the center. From standing, if a scramble takes place near the edge the referee will yell STOP and restart the competitors in the standing position in
the center of the mat, unless the takedown is achieved in bounds to determine level of control for a 2 or 3 point takedown. NOTE: No points or advantages for takedowns will be scored out of
bounds for safety of competitors.
14. POSITIONAL CHANGE FROM LEG LOCK SUBMISSION ATTEMPTS which result after an advantage is earned for a leg lock will NOT earn points (i.e. Fighter
A drops back from Fighter B’s Open Guard for a Leg Lock, he/she locks in for a 3 count & earns an advantage, then Fighter B escapes and comes up on top - No Points, Only the ‘Fighter A’
advantage would be scored.
15.ANTI-SANDBAGGING RULES: Grapplers Quest registers all competitors with SmoothComp, which tracks accurate Belt and Skill Levels for all competitors.
WRESTLERS: All wrestlers with 2+ years in high school or any collegiate experience must enter at least Beginner or higher in Submission Grappling Divisions. Wrestlers entering Novice
divisions will be disqualified. Sambo and Judo training experience will count the same as BJJ or any other ground fighting art to determine skill level.
a.Land on Top in Guard or Half Guard: 2 points
b.Land on Top in Side Mount or Full Mount– 3 Points
2. SWEEP: with Legs from Half Guard, Full Guard, Open Guard, or specifically Arm Drag from Open Guard to Turtle: 2 points (must hold for a 3 count to be awarded).
NOTE: Inversions - Power Roll escapes from Side control, Mount, or North/South are NOT considered Sweeps & will not be awarded any points or advantages.
3. GUARD: Passing the Guard (open or closed) - 3 points - Must hold for a 3 count to be awarded points. – MUST CLEAR ARMS, LEGS, AND HAVE OPPONENT ON BACK.
4. FULL MOUNT Position: 4 points - Must hold for a 3 count to be awarded. – NOTE: Mounted Triangles or Both Arms Out are not scored as mounts. Both knees on the ground, one
arm in/one arm out, and one knee down/one foot up are scored as mounts.
5. BACK MOUNT: 4 points - Both Leg Hooks, Knees on the Ground with Opponent Flat on his stomach, or Figure Four Back Mount.
6.Advantages: - Referee will signal verbally (i.e. Advantage Red) and with his/her arm by moving it in a horizontal motion for the following:
a.Submission attempts that posed a real threat to the other fighter for a 3 Count will be awarded an advantage.
b.Near takedowns, sweeps, and guard passes forcing the competitor to defend and/or reposition.
c.If both competitors Jump Guard at the same time, the competitor who comes up on top first would receive an advantage.
d.HALF-GUARD: Advantages will also be scored for a competitor passing from their opponent’s Full Guard to a Secure Half Guard. The competitor should also flatten their opponent to their back when securing the half guard on top in order to score an advantage. The opponent on the bottom shouldn’t be on their side if the competitor on top is to be awarded an advantage. This position must be secured for a 3 count in order for the competitor on top to be awarded an advantage.
NOTE: Competitors who actively jump half guard will not be penalized (i.e. their opponent on top will NOT receive an advantage).
e.Head Snap Down from standing to Rear Control – The Competitor who initiated the snap down will receive 1 advantage after a 3 count.
f.TURTLE Position: Forcing a competitor to defend a takedown or guard pass into the Turtle Position will be awarded an advantage after a 3 count.
NOTE: No Positional scoring will be made from the Turtle position once held for a 3 Count (including jumping full or half guard).
7. Advantages will only be used in the case of a tie with points.
8. Match Lengths:
4 Minutes: All Children’s/Teen’s, Women’s Beginner, Men’s Novice, and Men’s Beginner Divisions.
5 Minutes: Men’s Intermediate, Men’s Executive, and Men’s Masters Divisions.
6 minutes: Men’s & Women’s Advanced ---- NOTE: All Absolutes will have the same time as regular divisions.
Overtime (OT): In Case of a Tie with Points and Advantages competitors will compete in one overtime (1/2 time of regulation time) and then the referee will make a decision based upon effective aggressiveness.
9. Ways to Win a Match at Grapplers Quest:
• Tapout Submission – Ends match immediately when you signal referee to give up.
• Verbally: If you cannot tap or yell during a submission, the referee has the full authority to stop the match if he/she believes you are in danger.
• Points: Your score is tracked via two large point flippers or scoreboards.
• Advantages: If the score is tied, the referee will award the match to the competitor who has recorded the most Advantages.
• Ref Stoppage/Injury Default: If a competitor cannot continue due to injury or if the referee determines a submission has caused unconsciousness or another serious injury.
10. LEG LOCK RULES: (please read carefully for your division to avoid Disqualification):
NOTE: Securing a Leg Lock and earning an advantage for a 3 Count will nullify any scoring for a positional change (including sweeps).
Children’s/Teen’s Divisions Beginner = No Leg Locks or Lower Body Attacks are allowed.
Children’s/Teen’s Divisions Intermediate and Advanced = Only Straight Ankle Locks and Knee bars are allowed (No Figure Four Toe Holds).
NOTE: No Twisting Leg Locks are permitted in ANY Children’s or Teen’s Divisions (including Figure Four Toe Holds).
Executive/Masters: Only Straight Leg Locks (Ankle Locks and Knee Bars) are permitted – No Figure Four Toe Holds Permitted.
Men’s Novice, Beginner & Intermediate: Straight Leg Locks (Ankle Locks and Knee Bars) are permitted – No Figure Four Toe Holds Permitted.
Men’s Advanced: All leg locks are permitted (heel hooks, figure four toe holds, knee bars, reaping the knee, etc.).
Women’s Beginner: Only Straight Leg Locks (Ankle Locks and Knee Bars) are permitted – No Figure Four Toe Holds Permitted.
Women’s Advanced: All leg locks are permitted (heel hooks, figure four toe holds, knee bars, etc.).
NOTE: REAPING THE KNEE - No Reaping or using feet to angle the knee in a dangerous position, similar to heel hook position, in all divisions except Men’s & Women’s Advanced
and Professional Divisions.
11. Uniform for No-Gi: Tight/Snug Fitting T-shirt or Rashguard on Top with Board Shorts, Lycra Shorts, or Kimono Pants on the bottom. Please make sure all pants have a drawstring to keep them secured at your waist during the match. No Zippers or Metal Buttons Allowed